Thursday 23 August 2007

Paddy Irishman & The Garda Turban Debacle

A few words on the matter.

To the Politically Correct Brigade:

Disallowing a Garda from incorporating a turban as part of his uniform is not "racist". Sikhism is not a race. It is a religion. Therefore the word you are looking for is "bigoted." It must be said that I am inclined to share your annoyance on this matter. However, I am a pedantic sod and I would like if you would argue coherently.

To the Armchair Republican Brigade:

If a man wants to join the Garda Reserve and be of service to the community, then by all means allow him. Through his actions he has shown more desire to improve this country than most of you self-righteous 'patriots'... It must be said that this nation's penchant for culturally inbred colloquialism does grow exceedingly tiresome. Do you even know why you're objecting? Really?

The lad could wear a flowery pink stetson and a Rangers jersey for all I care.

There, I've said my piece.

2 comments:

Brian said...

That guy from the BNP got away with saying Islam was an evil religon on just that pedantary.

Basicaly he was done with inciting racial hatred, and his lawyers pointed out that race and religin are not the same thing. Then later that evening the pig was on the news talking about how he was vindicated, etc.

John Cav said...

Don't get me wrong, I am very much against the decision by the government and the Gardaí. I feel the man should certainly be allowed to incorporate his turban, or any religious emblem for that matter. I mean, to this day Gardaí are still encouraged to wear Pioneers pins on their uniforms. And what are the Pioneers? A fucking wholly Catholic organisation!

Therefore the secularism argument of the government simply does not stand up to scrutiny.

However, this does not alter the fact that their grievance is with his religion (at least officially). A bigoted stance. No question of that. However, not necessarily an inherently racist one.

While I must concede that bigotry and racism often go hand in hand, I must also cling desperately to the tenets of pedantry.

An ideology in itself :)

P.S. That BNP guy is a total cunt. With you on that.